Wednesday, February 20, 2013

If I keep the commandments I can live with Heavenly Father again.

It's my turn to do Sharing Time in Primary this week.  We are talking about keeping the commandments.
I love to use pictures, games or object lesson's to make it entertaining, memorable and easy to understand.
I was reading back through previous "Friend" magazines and came across this.
I loved the concept...https://www.lds.org/friend/1994/04/sharing-time-keep-the-commandments?lang=eng
but needed it large enough for the whole primary.  I also didn't have the time to color it as well. So I made my own.
our boat... or life on earth
Pictures of the commandments... please realize that they include some modern ones from today's prophets as well as the original 10 commandments.

Keep the commandments anchor

Commandment bubbles or links with the script to match the pictures.
  I am going to start the same way the Sharing time lesson is laid out.  Writing the sentence on the board and having the kids guess the song while the pianist plays it.  Then I intend to share the history of the song as outlined in the above link.
I am going to ask the children if they have ever been in a boat on the water and talk about how the waves can make the boat move and be unsteady.
The circles with the words in them will be links from the boat to the anchor.  I will have the children throw the anchor over the back and I will clip one of the pictures to it.  As they bring it up we will match it to the scripted bubbles or links in the chain. We will talk about how obeying the commandments can anchor us from the temptations of life.  As we keep those commandments it will help us to return to live with Heavenly Father.

My ship on the ocean with the word bubbles and anchor and some funny little fish watching.

I also included some funny little fish and want to point out that times we don't know who is watching us and what we can teach them by being a good example After all the pictures have been matched, I will tie the anchor at the bottom and talk about how the ship is now secure. I will end by bearing testimony of the peace I feel when I obey the commandments and how they have protected me from temptation.  I am thinking I might focus on scripture study and talk about the song "Scripture Power."
Since this is just a plan in the works, I will have to let you know how it goes.

Well... it worked great!! Really a fun lesson!!

No comments:

Post a Comment